Dr’s Corner: Ways to Reduce Hypertension or High Blood Pressure
The real danger of high blood pressure over a long period of time is the organ damage that occurs due to the pressure of the blood being forced through the vessels. It causes wear and tear on the vessels, which in turn weakens them. Organs very susceptible to this damage are the heart, kidneys, and eyes. List below are some life style changes to reduce your blood pressure with out medication.
- Drink 2 liters of water per day.
- Limit caffeine intake from coffee, teas, sodas; Green tea is best for caffeine
- Quit using tobacco/ nicotine; smoking, chewing, and vaping
- Exercise 30-45 min four times a week
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Increase the amounts of vegetables, dietary fiber, and fruits in your overall diet
- Steam rather than boil or fry foods
- Decrease sugars; dilute fruit juices and reduce soda consumption